Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Day 15 of the Brooklyn Experience

For those of you who don't know, this whole Brooklyn trip got started because Southwest Airlines had $77 roundtrip fares to NY.  
I thought "Yeah! I'll go up, make some new freelance friends, maybe do some work in person so they can see how I operate and see if there are opportunities I'd be willing to move for." Sadly, it's not going as planned.  
Apparently in NY, people don't respond to emails. Even with internal referrals, name-dropping of shared friends and personal recommendations, I can't seem to get them to reply. So this morning, I started sending messages saying “Just wanted to keep you apprised of all the awesome things I’m doing while I wait to hear from you,” and included highlights of the last four days.
I hope I don't have to do something drastic. Like make phone calls. Or like this guy, pose as a donut delivery man.
http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/guy-posed-donut-delivery-man-get-agencies-and-try-land-job-173882
This afternoon, I walked over to my friends Sarah and Jonathan’s house to hang out with their now 10-year old twins, Sid (her) and Sam (him). Sid had a track practice so I only saw her for a half hour but I helped Sam sync his new Fitbit and then we took a walk to the park. On the way, we stopped by the Corner of Vermont for Maple Creamees, his favorite soft serve ice cream. I heard his Dad secretly give him money to “buy his girlfriend an ice cream” but when it came time to pay, he kept his hands in his pockets and waited for me to do it. I bet in his mind, if he paid, I was OFFICIALLY his girlfriend, and earlier in the walk he told me I was kind of weird, so I’m guessing that was less than ideal. Cheeky bastard. I hope that money goes into his college fund.
On the way back from the park, we stopped by the Superhero Supply Company, an actual store in Brooklyn. It’s a non-profit organization and the proceeds go to helping kids with their writing skills. It’s the brainchild of Dave Eggers, who also has the Pirate Store in San Francisco.  
Sam didn’t want to try on any of the capes or stand on the platform over the fan that makes the cape look like it’s blowing in the wind. I considered doing it but after the “weird” comment I was trying to be on my best behavior. So I just shopped. I wanted to buy a gallon of Omnipotence but I figured I’d never get it home. I may have to go back later and pick up a quart.
This stuff ought to come in handy someday
I left Sarah and Jonathan’s at 5:45 pm and took the subway to Manhattan. In the morning, I’d gotten $30 rush tickets to see Heisenberg, starring Mary-Louis Parker and Dennis Arndt. I always loved her in West Wing but never got around to watching her in Weeds. Long story short, I’m not sure how I feel about my experience there.
It was my first show on Broadway (or slightly off, it was around the corner.) I was on the front row, so I’m thinking I was a little too close to the stage. Consciously, I know that stage acting is different—you have to project out to the crowd so even the furthest members of the audience understand what you’re trying to communicate. But from where I was sitting, all of the actor’s actions seemed so huge and overblown and overacted.  

What's more, the young woman sitting next to me who'd sneaked in a travel mug full of wine, was so emotionally connected to Mary-Louise Parker that she mimicked everything she did. When MLP shook her head, Wine Lover did too. When MLP laughed, Wine Lover laughed louder. When MLP said something shocking, Wine lover gasped and clasped her hands in front of her mouth. And when MLP cried, one lone tear streamed down Wine Lover's cheek. Apparently, the real show was in the seat next to mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment