Saturday, October 22, 2016

Good Friends, Ghosts and Something Rotten

40 Days in Brooklyn: Day 26-27


I’m not sure I can even begin to recount all the great things that have happened over the last week. I'm really behind on my blogging and I’m sure I’ll forget some details and I’ll probably fall asleep before I finish this post, but I guess I’ll have to try. 

Day 26 | Saturday Oct 15th

My Dallas friends Chris & Lawrence were due to return to NYC so I spent the morning getting the apartment spotless, going to the Farmer’s Market and grocery store, and stopping by the liquor store to get us provisioned. 
It's the little things

Their Room

And just for good measure, my room


Their flight landed at 10:30 am and they arrived at the apartment as I was walking back from the last store.


They're baaaack!

Once they got situated in the guest room, we went out and grabbed a bite to eat, then headed to the Brooklyn Flea, where we had a fabulous time looking at all sorts of things that were different from previous week. The weather was positively gorgeous—64 and sunny with very little wind—so we spent a couple hours looking around and then headed home.




This made me miss my husband.
And wonder about a role-playing scene involving miners. 

My favorite purchase, a red patent leather purse, circa late 1950's - early 60's
After we got home, Chris and Lawrence took a brief nap and I did a bit of work. Then we got ready to go out for the evening.  Our destination? Dinner with friends, then to Greenwood Cemetery for “Into the Veil” from Atlas Obscura.

Dinner with friends. Chris will hate this photo.
Now if you’re not familiar with Atlas Obscura…

Damn. I knew I’d fall asleep. And now another full day has gone by before 
I’ve been able to get back to my blog. So where were we?  


Atlas Obscura is this great site/organization that features amazing travel destinations where you can have curious experiences.  Check it out at http://www.atlasobscura.com/ And Into the Veil was their nighttime event in Green Wood Cemetery with music and performers and libations. Since there are no lights in the cemetery, they put thousands of little battery-operated votives everywhere. And the event takes place on the full moon.

Green Wood Chapel, in creepy duotone

Chris had read somewhere that capes were encouraged, since the event has a somewhat Victorian flair. So he made capes for himself and Lawrence and fortunately, I happened to have something that resembled a cape.


Lawrence and I

Then we got a random stranger to take a photo of us all.

Anywho, when we got to the cemetery, the line wrapped around the block.  The event was sold out, and we suspect there was anywhere from 1500 to 2000 people there. It was, however, an amazing event, although we missed probably half of the sights.  Methinks we might be back next year, fingers crossed.

Was trying to show the line in this photo but later realized the strangeness
of the shadow. It's not my shadow. I wasn't wearing a hat or a long cape. 
Gettin' sideways with Dan
Chris at the Catacomb Bar
You can't see them, but you can hear the Zombie Band

And this is the band inside the Catacombs.


Day 27 | Sunday Oct 16th

On Broadway
On Sunday, we hit a matinee showing of Something Rotten on Broadway.  Amazing! It’s a musical set in late 1500’s England about a Nick and Nigel Bottom, a couple of writers competing with Shakespeare, (who’s portrayed a bit like Keith Richards and gets screaming fans like the Beatles). So Nigel finds a seer to learn the future. This seer turns out to be Thomas Nostradamus who, although he isn’t as famous as his Uncle, actually has the gift of sight and tells our protagonist that the next big thing in theater is MUSICALS.  So the brothers go about trying to write the first one. 

Nigel Bottom and Thomas Nostradamus in an awesome dance number
It was my first real Broadway musical and it was amazing.  The writing in it was hilarious and I now know there’s a real platform for all the stupid funny songs I write. I’m inspired. In fact, I see an open mic night in my future. Stay tuned. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment