Sunday, October 9, 2016

Forty Days in Brooklyn : Day 19

Saturday morning, I got up at 6 am, made coffee (and took a couple ibuprofen for the headache) and Eric and I were walking by 6:30.  As we headed toward the loop inside Prospect Park (4.2 miles) we had to wade through all the runners gathering to do the Brooklyn Rock & Roll half marathon.  After our walk, we hit the farmer’s market by the Brooklyn library.  There were really beautiful things there this week, and I took pictures. 


Multi-colored carrots



technicolor turnips


Pretty peppers

Voldemort Turnips
We bought a few things then went back to the apartment where Eric made breakfast and then we bottled our ginger beer. Just so you know, ginger beer isn’t beer. It’s non-alcoholic. And it has to sit four days before it’s completely ready.

Yes, it's on my diet

Ginger beer. We made it with stevia, so it's okay.
After that, we set our on our daily adventure, walking to the Brooklyn Flea, a flea market about a mile away from the apartment.  We spent a couple hours there, looking at a bunch of things. But here’s my prize for the day.  Not sure why I came from Texas to buy a deer’s head in Brooklyn, but I liked it. I think I’ll hang necklaces on it at home.

Yaaas, #Ifeellikedeerheadz

In profile

On our way back to the apartment, we stopped at the Tin Kettle again. Eric said the Tin Kettle lager was the best new beer he’d had in a while.  They were serving brunch for the first time—we learned they’d only opened in April—and right after we’d ordered beers, the owner came over and gave us free mimosas.  We ordered some Pear & Herb deviled eggs just to try them—good and spicy but neither Eric not I could detect even a hint of pear.
We struck up a conversation with the guy sitting next to me, Alister, originally from Scotland but now a US citizen. And next to him was the bartender’s wife, Jess. 
Eric was talking to Jason the bartender and a guy next to him Alex from Tennessee. The Texas-OU football game was on the TV and next thing I know, there’s a fresh beer in front of me and we’re having a lively but civil discuss about the political situation. 

Bad lighting, but excellent framing

After that beer, just as we’re deciding whether to stay or go, the bartender brings us another round.  “These are on me,” he says. At which point I say to Eric “Okay, but I need to eat.”  So we split a burger as we finished our drinks.  When we finally decided to go, the tab was $21. 


Headed home past the Doughnut Plant and got a photo.

We didn't eat here. Just walked by.

So Eric works a lot with the homeless with his church in Baltimore. He cooks meals to help feed people, he repairs things for resale and he mans the resale events where the church often sells things. And on the way home, we found a vacuum cleaner sitting on the curb.  We looked at it and discovered the cord had been cut. Eric says he can fix it and give it to the church to resell.  But it’s going to be funny when he shows up to the Megabus with it.  I told him I'll put a big bow on it so it looks like a gift.

The only vacuum that never loses suction.
But sometimes loses the power cord.


No comments:

Post a Comment