Friday, October 14, 2016

Forty Days in Brooklyn: Days 24 & 25


Friday, Oct 14th


Five bridges in one day. That’s right. I walked over five of them today. I think it’s a personal record for me as far as bridges go. But then, I had something to prove. 

You see, I spent all day yesterday working. In fact, I never left the apartment. It was that all-consuming sort of work where you blink and hours have gone by. I had a 1:00 deadline and that went well. But after getting detailed feedback at 2:00, I had some tweaking to do before the 5:00 conference call. Then I had another unrelated call at 6:00. And then a call with my Mom after that, while I was making dinner. And I didn’t even remember to take food photos. It was not a banner day.

So this morning when I woke up, I had a fire in my belly.

Truth is, I didn’t plan to go as far as I did. I just started walking the same direction I’d gone two weekends ago.  I knew it was only a couple miles to the Manhattan Bridge from my apartment. This is the view at 6:30 this morning.


So much beauty and promise. Until it beats the crap out of you.



On the Manhattan Bridge. Surprisingly, I don’t look my best at 6:30 am. 

When I got across the Manhattan Bridge I thought “I’ve walked the Brooklyn Bridge three or four times now. Maybe I’ll go in the other direction.” So I walked up Bowery Street and then over to Delancey and after 1.8 miles, I hit the Williamsburg Bridge.


Bridge #2: The Williamsburg, as the sun’s rising

As I crossed the Williamsburg Bridge back into Brooklyn, I saw another bridge to my left.  And upon consulting Google Maps, I realized I could get TWO bridges in a relatively short period of time. But I was almost waylaid in Williamsburg by a couple of things.


The smell of fresh bagels literally made my mouth water.
It was all I could do to not go in.



This bakery window was amazing.


The other side of the window. It was a big bakery.

But I was able to pass up those temptations thanks to a couple of apples I’d stowed in my backpack. They gave me the willpower I needed to leave that evil behind and make it 3.5 miles to the bridge that takes you to Queens, the Pulaski Bridge.


It was less like a bridge and more like an overpass, but hey, it still counts.

From the Pulaski Bridge it was only 3 miles to the Ed Koch-Queensboro Bridge. And by that time, the sun was shining and it was turning into a beautiful day. So I crossed it back into Manhattan.


At the entrance of the pedestrian path


At the highest part of the Queensboro Bridge
Now the Queensboro Bridge spits you out at 2nd Ave and 59th street. So I headed over to 1st Avenue to be closer to the water.  Not right on the water, but close enough to see it now and then. And there, I saw some things I liked. Like this…






But then I saw some things I didn’t like, too.


Phfffftt!

And then, at around Mile 13, I saw it, rising up in the distance like a beautiful mirage. The Rolling Grill. Like a gift from God, dropping griddle-cooked manna from heaven. I got a breakfast sandwich and a cup of coffee that literally saved my life.  By then, I’d been walking for 3.5 hours.


Thank you Mary, Joseph and sweet sweet Baby Jesus.

After that, I continued to walk downtown, passing a number of interesting things along the way. Like this very pretty Fall display in front of an apartment community.


My what big pumpkins you have, my dear.

And as I was taking a photo of said Fall display, guess what came peeking out at me?


Black Squirrel! (I think he’s posing.)


I walked through Chinatown, but never got to a part that really really looked like Chinatown until I saw this.


NOW it’s Chinatown.

Fish market in Chinatown.  It smelled, um, not-so-good.   

Sort-of live crabs in Chinatown, but not really live enough for me.
Maybe they were sleeping. But I don’t think so.


The place I’ll be sent by the end of this trip, I suspect. 


And then I got to my last bridge—the one we all know and love—the Brooklyn Bridge. 


Yes, again.
And just as I entered the walkway, I saw this.



Poor them. Their walk is only 39 miles. Wussies.

As I got to the other side of the bridge, I remembered to take a photo of the sign that’s embedded in the sidewalk.


If you can’t read this, it says “Welcome to Brooklyn.”

Another 2+ miles and I was finally back in my apartment.  Total walking time: 5:16:39. Total elapsed time including time waiting for traffic, map checking, photo taking, stopping to eat a sandwich, going into a store in Chinatown, stopping to pick up some more nuts at Sahadis and stopping in a cool little store in Brooklyn: 7 hours. More details below.

The Path
The mile markets
The times MIles 1 to 10

The Times: Mile 11 to 20.








No comments:

Post a Comment