Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Forty Days in Brooklyn: Day 21 & 22


Monday was Columbus Day and Eric’s last day here. He had to be in Hell’s Kitchen by 11:30 so I spent the early morning blogging about our antics, then we set off for Manhattan at about 9 am.  

We rode the subway to Times Square then walked for about 45 minutes to our destination, including time for getting lost, stopping at a coffee shop because we were cold, and posing for a picture that I knew everyone at home would appreciate. If you look at the very bottom, you can see my head in the picture. I’m wearing my little black beanie because it was cold that day.


Can you see me?

Saying goodbye to Eric was sad. We’d had such a good weekend and who knows when we’ll see each other again? The only thing I was happy about was seeing the Dyson get put into the belly of the Megabus. I’d dragged that thing for at least forty blocks so I was glad to see it go.

Eric and the Yellow Beast

While we were on our way to the station, I’d been contacted by an agency back home about a freelance project that was starting that day. So I rushed back to the 34th St—Hudson Yards subway station where I saw this beautiful mosaic as I was going down the enormous escalator.

The entrance to the 34th St—Hudson Station

I got back to Brooklyn with time to spare before my conference call, so I did a little emailing and house cleaning while I caught a tape of the presidential debate from the night before.

Then it was time to go to work. And oh how time flies when you’re having fun.  Next thing I know, it’s dark outside and long past dinnertime. 

And by the way, I’m fully committed to my diet again.



Tuesday, Oct 11th


Tuesday morning, I slept through my Fitbit alarm. It usually goes off at 3:30 am so I can be walking by 4:15.  But I never felt it go off and I forgot to set my phone alarm last night. So my next walk will have to wait until tomorrow. Oh darn. 

Instead, I got up at 6:30, got some hot tea and did my emailing/contact searching thing. I did have some chores to do so I got them out of the way—I did a couple loads of laundry and then went out for a few essentials.


Yes, Dahlias are essential. Stop busting my chops.

Now I’m not terribly certain how big trash day in Brooklyn works, but it appears to me that people just put everything out on the curb. Mattresses, box springs, air conditioners, vacuum cleaners; I’ve seen them all sitting on the curb since I’ve been here.  But on my way back from the grocery store today, I saw something on the curb that I simply couldn’t pass up. I looked around and once sure no one was looking, I picked it up and took it with me. A little farther down the block, a woman gave me a funny look, but by then I was committed. 

Here it is in the apartment in it’s natural state and then implemented for use.  I guess I’m officially a trash-picker now. My parents would be so proud.

The closet is reserved for the apt owner, so there’s no place for my coats except in the bedroom. 


This ought to work just fine.  Thanks Big Trash Day!


I worked the rest of the day on my project but did have a moment to make myself an awesome lunch of salmon sashimi and roasted Brussel sprouts.


Good and good for you.


And I did get back up on the roof to take a photo of the view in daytime.

"I can see all the way to New York City!"
Funny, saying that doesn't seem as impressive here as it does at home.

Now it’s dark again. And I can tell it's time to close the windows because I’m getting cold. I can also tell by the ticking radiator that the heat is about to come on. Surprisingly,  it’s a nice sound to read by.  And I'm off to do that right now. Goodnight and pleasant dreams.



No comments:

Post a Comment